Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Scintilla: What is one massively impossible dream you’ve always had?


I’ve had three massively impossible dreams in my life. 

The first dream was to have a horse and to live on a ranch.  I started dreaming this dream when I was very young, maybe nine years old, playing with my Breyer horses.  I grew up in a small suburban town in Southern California and ranches just don’t exist in LA County.  I rented horses, borrowed horses and pretty much rode as much as I could without actually owning a horse.  When I was 40, I finally bought a horse of my own and shortly thereafter my husband and I built a small ranch in the coastal mountains.  It’s a lot of hard work but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

The second dream was to marry Brett.  If you’ve read the previous days prompts, you have a sense of the difficulties that dream entailed.  I met Brett when I was 17, fell in love with him when I was 19, and we parted ways when I was 22 – and 25 and 29.  He was very married, with small children.  He was a devoted father and at 29 I wanted my own family and children.  I cut ties with him completely.  I was tired of feeling like a mistress; it’s a horrible feeling.  But, my subsequent marriage failed and he ultimately got divorced and almost 25 years after meeting, we did marry. 

The last dream is to live in France.  I went to Europe with two girlfriends when I was in college.  The one friend was going to Switzerland to visit her father, whom she hadn’t seen since she was three.  She was nervous so I went along for moral support.  Her father was very nice and his wife was French.  They spoke French in the home.  I fell in love with the language and the food, came back to the US and started taking French classes.  I have a very good friend who lives in Normandy but also has a home in Brittany.  We visit each other almost every year, sometimes here in the US and sometimes there in France.   The more I visit her, the more I want to live there.  I love the pace of life in the small towns (I’m not a huge fan of Paris other than to visit for the day), the food (OMG, moules et frites with a bottle of muscadet) and, well, everything French.  Of course, I also have the complications of dream #1 and dream #2 – I can’t leave my horse and the other animals for more than a week or two, and I certainly can’t leave the love of my life.  Yes, he would go with me but he doesn’t speak French and who would take care of the animals?  I wouldn’t trust them with anyone else.  So, this dream is massively impossible – not even taking into consideration the fact that my job is here and my children.  But I can still dream, right? 

3 comments:

teri said...

Ok so now I read this and stop. I have to go back and read all the others. Oh my- you really do magic. You make impossible dreams come true.

Lori Skoog said...

I'm going to have your history down pat.

Heartful said...

The thing about life is, you just never know! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...