As I sink deeper into the arid years
of menopause,
I feel my dry, cracked skin
and cheeks red rough
from working in the wind.
I am a walking Sedona;
a scorched
rocky, brown
bleached bone
desert.
A hard packed hot flash.
I am an agave
growing in an arroyo
collecting dust and grit
in the spines of my thick flesh.
--but--
I remember my moist youth
soft, yielding flesh
damp from swimming.
Sitting in the back seat of your car;
the sweaty heat rising
off my chlorine drenched skin.
Burying my face in your neck
and inhaling the musky aroma.
The windows foggy from
our breath.
Oh yes!
I remember the moisture
of my youth.
I wrote this poem using a prompt from Margo's Tuesday Tryout on Poetic Counterpoint. I have to say that I had no idea the poem would end up going the direction it did -- not my usual style, that's for sure!
16 comments:
I am in a similar place...but seasonal is the weather. I enjoyed your poem. I do enjoy Margo's prompts - wish I had more time to write on each one!
I love, love, love the metaphor and the imagery, especially in the first stanza, is amazing. Boy does it work. I am so glad the poem hijacked you!
margo
Nevertheless a very worthy effort!
I love it when the poem or story goes its own way. I feel this is how the best ones are born. This is a beautiful example of that! I love it!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/three-in-dreams/
moist youth with imagery of dry, cracked skin, awesome piece of reflections!
Excellent piece of poetry I enjoyed it very much :)
this is excellent and the end really ties this all together glad that you remember your youth
http://gatelesspassage.com/2011/10/10/the-bird-of-love/
I love how the two sections juxtapose against each other, and the hinge in the middle on which the poem seems to turn.
-Nicole
Nice. I had glanced at that prompt, but it didn't "speak" to me. Looks like I need to give it a second look,
This is just lovely.
What a sweet, moist memory! It is a salve to the dryness.
this is a great poem. I like the way you give us the present then move back into memory ...delightful memory. as one of your reader's, I can feel the love-scene in the backseat of the car. nice.
the ''foggy windows'' are great particulars...as are so many other visuals: an agave growing in an arroyo. all this provides 'Detail' which is 'Life' to a poem.
very good job.
thank you for sharing.
Too true!
You hit the nail on the head!
stolen moments
that definitely paints the picture [blushing]...
Nicely done- thoroughly enjoyed the journey this poem traveled.
Post a Comment