Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Treasured time turning sour.  Cooking
hampered by confusing cupboards
and missing lids.
No cranberries and no yams.  I
know it's about family and forgiveness; not
stressing over short tempers.  I should be
grateful for another holiday with mom
instead of angry with dad's
vicious verbal
insults hurled in frustration.  His fear is
not managed well so I'm
going for a walk.




This form is a long line acrostic (the first letters of each line spell the subject).  Hopefully, you didn't notice the acrostic when you read the poem.  The prompt came from Margo.  I have also linked in to the Poets Rally.

And many thanks to the Poets Rally for this award.

24 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I love this and do get the "picture." Hope you had a nice walk.

Anonymous said...

Like the best acrostics: totally invisible unless one knows. And, I can see how this would be therapeutic.

margo

vivinfrance said...

Your Thanksgiving has a bittersweet quality, leading to an excellent acrostic.

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

true,

it is about forgiveness and thankfulness.

Cheers,

The Orange Tree said...

this is creative and fun.

Anonymous said...

Acrostics are elusive to me ... and yours was well hidden until you mentioned it ...

I have a love/hate relationship with holidays ... this shows my "hate them" side. I can relate ... only my parents did not remain together -- the egg shells were always in the backgrouns!

Nicely done!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

beautiful composition.

Marbles in My Pocket said...

We had a similar situation this year. It saddens me when I time that should be joyful is tempered by things that really shouldn't matter.
Very nice write. Sad, but good, too.
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/the-beast-2/

teri said...

Now you know why I walk so much- I have a mother like that. I have found walking the cure to most ill feelings. In fact I took up walking last January as well as small stones. They seem to go hand and hand for me.

I won't say I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. I am just glad you survived.

I need to go look at Margo's prompt! And no I did not notice.

tinkwelborn said...

Nice acrostic, and the message is kind of sad...too much needless & detracting quarreling goes on in the world.

great piece.

William Leed said...

Can't live with 'em and ya can't live with out 'em. Liked your solution to the issue at hand. Very mature!!
William

Charlie Parant said...

Many acrostic poems seem forced to me but this one doesn't at all...nicely composed.

Anonymous said...

beautiful :)

Unknown said...

short n delivered a message in silk

Chèvrefeuille said...

I am short in words ... it's just beautiful.

shail said...

Nicely expressed.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I agree. I didn't know it was an acrostic until I read the concluding paragraph. Nicely done. The poem was lovely. :)

Old Raven said...

I am a free former myself ... so I definitely did not know that it was acrostic until you said so. You told a lot of truth about the holidays.

Miss Kitten said...

Nicely done! I too find it hard to stomach all the drama whenever I spend the holidays with my family. My poor mother does her absolute best and really does outdo herself every time, but she just can't live up to my stepfather's impossibly high expectations. He's like an angry Clark W. Griswold.

Anonymous said...

I hope your walk helped! Sounds like the antics of a "typical" family on a holiday---someone always seems bound to "blow up" ---great piece!

Anonymous said...

Nice acrostic--sad story. I like the contrast :)

JBinford-Bell said...

Memories of many a family gathering when my folks were alive.

So well put.

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

notice that you won the perfect poet award for poets rally week 57, welcome take it,

join us any time when you are free.

outstanding poetry along the way, truly enjoyed your lasting support.

keep rocking.
smiles.

xoxox

Anjum Wasim Dar said...

lovely truthful acrostic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...