Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

December Rain

The sky sinks low, flat grey and leaking rain,
A misty wet wind shakes the sodden leaves;
Raindrops run down my neck and up my sleeves;
Gutters sing a pitter-patter refrain.
I duck my head under the barn doorframe.
My worn gloves are wet and starting to freeze.
Smoke from the house chimney feels like a tease;
I want to feel the wood stove's warming flames.


20 comments:

wilsonc said...

Love it!

teri said...

I hope you are all thawed out and you are now all warmed up.

Francis said...

Love this - beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive. Hurry indoors and get warm and dry!

Anonymous said...

...a day in the rain, descriptive :)
happy rally!!

http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/discomfort/

Anonymous said...

this felt like home, what a nice work

Anonymous said...

in the winter, all we can think of is getting warm

Maggie said...

What an image you have painted. Just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

A nice snapshot.

Marbles in My Pocket said...

A very vivid write. A situation I've lived actually.
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/a-thousand-candles/

Susie Clevenger said...

Brrrr....your words hand me feeling the chill

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

great imagery with a day in the rain,
way to go.

Neha said...

Good one :)

Happy rally.

Zoe said...

Lovely if cold! Was this a purely physical rain, or is there a deeper metaphor? :) I ask, because I was about to comment on the physical...
I find it delightful when words mean different things to different people: I can see and even feel your December rain, but if I were to write a poem about December rain it would be about the welcome relief from humid heat, as December is our first month of summer. Your poem gives me a fascinating glimpse into something I can only understand by imagination and for that, I thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

stay warm and dry

Kay said...

There's nothing like a soothing fire to warm the bones. So nice!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Here's to welcoming warmth and a Merry Christmas.

Anna :o]

Chèvrefeuille said...

Great imagery, thank you for sharing.

Happy Holidays

Melissa Ridley Elmes said...

I love how clearly you have captured the moment - great use of imagery. I was cold on your behalf!

Anonymous said...

Greetings:

Hope that you have had a great Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the delightful support along the way,

Happy New Year.

Share a piece of your poetry today at our poetry party today if you could, old ones are okay.

Have fun!

Sending you love and blessings.
Cheers.

xoxox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...