Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 2: Becoming a Grownup

Prompt: When did you realize you were a grown up? What did this mean for you? 

 
I felt like an adult when I became completely independent of my parents.  I loved my parents but I hated living at home.  For as long as I can remember, my dreams were always about living somewhere else.  I was a quiet child, fiercely independent, non-participatory in family activities, and horse crazy in a home where smelling of horse was a bad thing.  I often smelled of horse.  I spent my time at the stables up the street.  “Can I groom your horse?  Walk your horse?  Bathe your horse?”  I wore Levi’s and I wrote poetry.  I did not fit in at home.

I married a brilliant man, with baggage, the day after I graduated from college.  We moved to LA where I enrolled in a graduate program at the UCLA School of Law.  My parents paid for the tuition as a wedding gift so I still didn’t feel completely free and independent.  After finishing the program at UCLA, I took a job with a prestigious law firm in the heart of Century City.  My office was on the 40th floor of one of the towers.  I parked my old Toyota Corolla with oxidized paint in the parking structure.  I had arrived. 

I wasn’t a lawyer, although that was the long term plan.  I was a paralegal who did research and sifted through documents to support the attorneys.  I had a desk in an office.  I traded my Levi’s for a fashionable wardrobe.  I learned about Dior and Chanel and Ferragamo.  I couldn’t afford them, but I knew about them and I copied them as best I could.  I started wearing make-up.  I used Lancôme products exclusively.  I carried a leather briefcase and traveled first class across the country.  During a large trial, I lived in a hotel in downtown LA near the courthouse.  

I was self-sufficient, confident and I felt very adult.  My marriage quickly fell apart but by then I knew I could support myself and being alone did not frighten me in the least.  Eventually, the glow wore off on the job and I found work closer to where I was living in Orange County.  It would be a few more years before I found the real me in Levi’s again. 

I still love designer clothes.  I still use Lancôme.  But, I also write poetry and I have my very own horse to walk, wash, groom and ride.  And I have a husband who understands my quiet nature, who also cherishes solitude and loves the smell of horses.

2 comments:

Heartful said...

This made me feel all warm inside, especially the last paragraph.

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you for sharing. Loved learning more about you. By the way, you really arrived when you met Brett.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...