Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

After the Fire: San Marcos Pass

A scorched moonscape slashed across the mountain;
Smudgy charcoal tree stumps stood shadowy
against the sore earth.
A rough restless wind blew
ghosts of green grass memory and
a hawk soared high, searching
for warm rodents nestled under the ground.

The springs still seep water; soon seeds will sprout.
Ground squirrels will whistle to each other,
bright on blackened boulders. 
I know balance will return;
That the brush is cleansed and renewed.
Ashes will bear life, but
right now it looks like a barren wasteland.


Written with the wordle 44 prompt.

13 comments:

brenda w said...

Fire destroys, but the earth renews. This is a lovely piece exploring that desolation. Glad to have you at the whirl!

Cathy said...

Great read, there nothing more desolate than a mountain side burned away.

teri said...

You have painted a picture with your words. Your gentle strokes bring hope to a wasteland. You are so good at that. xo teri

Sara McNulty said...

This is absolutely wonderful. Thanks.

Jules said...

We travel south for vacations... and pass a similar place of stalking black trees...each year I look for more signs of life.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You've conveyed the image of the fire-wasted pass well.


Whirling Haiku

vivinfrance said...

A beautiful poem, crystal clear, with some lovely word-sounds throughout. Wonderful wordling.

margo said...

I completely forgot this was a wordle, as I read. It wasn't until I reached 'balance' and thought 'Hang on...'.
I remember, growing up, that every summer as we headed to our boat, we passed burned hillsides. It was a part of the season.
Love the imagery in the last two lines of the first stanza.

Misk Mask said...

My daughter-in-law is from San Marcos (near San Diego?). Is this the fire of a few years ago, or more recently?

Very good piece you've written; heartbreaking and hopeful.

~ Misky

Janet Martin said...

A perfect example of...life is not what we look at, it's what we see'! You had me with the opening two lines.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh you are such a great poet you make my imagination go wild. B

Leontien said...

Great poem! Thanks for sharing and i love the picture with the words!

Hope you and all the animals are doing good!

Big hugs
Leontien

Buttons Thoughts said...

Well done. I could feel the the hot air and see the mountain. B

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...